Work Permit

During internships and employment candidates are legally entitled to work in Canada.

Most candidates participate in the "International Experience Canada" (IEC) program. It consists of 3 different work visa categories, the "International Co-op / Internship" visa, the "Working Holiday" visa, and the "Young Professionals" visa.

Germans can participate twice, but the categories have to be different. IEC work permits do not require a "Labour Market Impact Assessment" (LMIA) due to the reciprocal nature of the "International Mobility Program" agreement between Canada and Germany.

IEC Program

IEC – Countries – work permits – availability
IEC – Create Profile (for individual German applicants)
IEC – Employer Portal (for "International Co-op / Internship" visas and "Young Professionals" visas only)
IEC – Fees (for individual German applicants)
IEC – Help Centre – FAQs
IEC – International Mobility Program
IEC – POE Letter of Introduction
IEC – Processing Procedures – Exemption Code
IEC – Processing Times
IEC – Requirements – International Co-op / Internship
IEC – Requirements – Working Holiday
IEC – Requirements – Young Professionals
IEC – Start Page

Immigration, Work Permit

Citizenship and Immigration Canada – immigrate
Citizenship and Immigration Canada – work

Retention Permit, Dual Citizenship

German Consulate General Toronto
German Federal Office of Administration